Its 4PM the Sunday following Philosophy Camp, and I think I finally got everything unpacked and resituated for the next two months here at the Company Summer Institute. I showed up late Friday afternoon and have spent much of the weekend spreading out my stuff and taking the talks I missed in. Abe, the company cook, recorded them for me.
The house we're staying in is quite long, it looks like a rambler, but with another half a house attached to one side. Everything is in common (shared). We have 2 regular meals with everyone 6 days a week (some people are gone for lunch and Sunday is free-for-all). We have triple bunks all in one room and have turned the house, the 14 of us are sharing, into a revolutionary barracks.
Wednesday through Saturday have consisted of 7 talks that make the social norms and codes conscious. The talks are about orienting us new comers to the experiential/spiritual knowledge the Company and the People of Praise has gained from living in intential community. We have talked about things like speech, friendship, and frogiveness and reconciliation in order to create a space to learn to grow/live in community.
However, tommorrow is when I will experience my first real Company day. Wake up at 5:25AM, PT, pray, Breakfast and begin work at 8AM. We then have a full day of work, dinner crew starts dinner at 4:30PM, with dinner at 6. Then evening talks will take place nearly every night as we continue to intentionally learn to build/live in community.
The CSI is about training ourselves to live community grounded in Jesus, and discerning what the Lord is doing in the world and what He has for us.
2 comments:
Typical Catholic.
Seriously though, thanks for making a blog. Now I can learn all about the adventures of the new UPN sitcom, "The monks and me" starring Russell Lyons as a confused about his sexuality, morbidly obese, Minnesnowtan and his crazy Catholic adventures. I'm excited.
Mom always told me I could be whatever I wanted to be when I grew up, 'within reason.' When I asked her what she meant by 'within reason,' she said, 'You ask a lot of questions for a garbage man.' My favorite uncle was Uncle Caveman, we called him that because he lived in a cave and every once in a while he eat one of us, later on we found out he was a bear. I once met an assassin who's nickname was fart. I ask him why he has this nickname and he tells me it's because he's silent but deadly. Next Thanksgiving, here is a fun trick to play: When the mashed potatoes and turkey are being served, take some of both. But hide your turkey under your mashed potatoes. When your family asks "Don't you want some turkey?," pull the turkey out from under the mashed potatoes and yell "I tricked you!!"
Post a Comment